O painel de juízes
Os nossos juízes representam as línguas faladas nas eco regiões abrangidas pela campanha “Rooted Everyday – Regresso às raízes” e são escritores com experiência em ficção, não-ficção, jornalismo, ambiente, edição, academia, campanhas e ativismo.
Autora Amy Beeson Júri do Reino Unido
Autora e Poeta Brahim Elboukhari Júri de Marrocos
Autora e Editora Isabel Minhós Martins Júri de Portugal
Autora Maria Rousakis Júri da Grécia
Autora Rania Masri Júri do Líbano
Autora Joaquín Araújo Júri de Espanha
O que os juízes procuram:
● Histórias que abordam questões de conservação destacadas na campanha do Rooted Everyday – Regresso às Raízes
● Histórias extraídas à tradição oral de transmitir contos nas eco regiões em destaque na campanha
● Histórias que reúnem as lutas do povo, a riqueza da terra e a urgência de preservá-la em cenas bem trabalhadas que surpreendem e inspiram
Seja inspirado pelos projetos do Rooted Everyday – Regresso às Raízes.
Photo by The Mango Lab
Amy Beeson é a presidente do Concurso de Contos do Mediterrâneo Rooted Everyday. Ela é uma escritora de ficção e não-ficção, guionista e redatora. Amy co-escreveu com Sarah Beeson MBE duas memórias, The New Arrival, Our Country Nursee um guia para pais, Happy Baby, Happy Family publicado pela HarperCollins em livro, ebook e audiolivro. Está atualmente a escrever o seu romance de estreia How To Be A Good Wife.
“Stories change how we see the world. It’s urgent for our survival that more people see what’s truly at stake for people and planet and engage with it emotionally and personally. It’ll be a learning experience for me and every reader to see the world through new writers’ eyes and travel to new places and experience different ways of life through their stories.”
Amy runs Wordsby a branding and communications agency that works closely with the Rooted Everyday campaign. She studied English Literature & Creative Writing at the University of East Anglia followed by an MA in Writing & Performance for Theatre, Film & Television at the University of York. She has won prizes for poetry, had several plays performed and was a young playwright at the Birmingham Rep where she met her husband writer Takbir Uddin. They now live in London with their daughter, Ava.
Segue Brahim Elboukhari
Brahim Elboukhari é um poeta marroquino, autor e professor de inglês. Os seus trabalhos incluem: O vento suave do verão: uma coleção de poemas; Os dias negros da nossa aldeia: a história de uma terra; Fragmentos da sociedade marroquina; Representação e resistência: um estudo pós-colonial para o céu de Bowles.
“Work in biodiversity has shined a light on the bond between the people and the land in the Mediterranean. This is an opportunity to celebrate our stories and traditional practices. I want to see stories that preserve the traditional themes of life in the Mediterranean by writing them in creative ways that will make people think deeply about these issues. I want to be entertained too.”
Brahim grew up in the small village of Merzouga where storytelling is a powerful tool used to sensitize the whole community to take positive action for conservation, the environment, endangered species, and traditions. He graduated in 2006 with a BA in English Language and Literature. In 2008, he received his MA in Humanities and Area Studies: Colonial and Post-Colonial Discourse. In 2009, he graduated from the Ecole Normal Superieur in Rabat as a teacher of English as a foreign language. Brahim believes in the Arabic saying that ‘the poet is the product of their environment’.
Segue Isabel Minhós Martins
Isabel Minhós Martins é autora de álbuns ilustrados, muitos dos quais foram traduzidos para outros idiomas, inclusive “Quando eu Nasci” (Seleção "100 Outstanding Picturebooks", Feira do Livro de Frankfurt 2018) “A Manta” (Seleção White Ravens 2012), “Com o Tempo” (Melhor Livro Infanto-juvenil, SPA 2015) ou “Daqui Ninguém Passa!” (vencedor do Prémio para a Paz Gustav-Heinemann Friedenspreis e do Deutscher Jugendliteraturpreis, Alemanha, 2017).
Desde que fundou a editora Planeta Tangerina com um grupo de amigos em 2000, Isabel dedica-se à criação de livros ilustrados para crianças. Vencedora do Prémio BOP 2013 de “Melhor Editora Europeia para Crianças”, promovido pela Feira Internacional do Livro Infantil de Bolonha.
“When I first went to the Rooted Everyday website, I learned something amazing: 75% of Europeans live in urban areas.
This is an impressive number that raises many questions: what will happen to rural areas if we all go to the cities? Agricultural models? To the forests? To the territory? To our relationship with nature? Does the fact that almost all of us live in cities prevent us from seeing beyond their peripheries?
I believe that the place where we live always moulds us culturally and as people. And I also believe that the fact that we have a close relationship with our landscapes (and everything they contain) – of knowledge, contemplation and participation – will more easily lead us to more sustainable ways of life.
For all this I was so pleased with the invitation to join the jury of this contest that has the landscape of the montado as the main character. Precisely because the montado is proof that it is not only the landscape that shapes us, but that we can all help build it, in search of more balanced models for all parties.”
Isabel was born in Lisbon in 1974. She studied Communication Design at thes College of Fine Arts in Lisbon. Between 1997 and 2000, she began her activity in the area of Portuguese pedagogical communication, having worked in the area of Consumption, Citizenship, Environment and Sustainability.
- Metade, metade
- Plasticus maritimus, uma espécie invasora
- Atlas das viagens e dos exploradores — As viagens de monges, naturalistas e outros viajantes de todos os tempos e lugares
- Cem sementes que voaram
- Cá Dentro – Guia para descobrir o cérebro
- Um Ano Inteiro – Almanaque da Natureza
- Daqui ninguém passa
- Com o tempo
- Uma onda pequenina
- Este livro está a chamar-te, não ouves?
- O Mundo num Segundo (novo formato)
- O Que Há
- O Rapaz que Gostava de Aves
- Nunca Vi Uma Bicicleta e os Patos não Me Largam
- Ir e Vir
- Um Livro para Todos os Dias
- Para Onde Vamos Quando Desaparecemos?
- Como É Que Uma Galinha…
- Obrigado a Todos!
- Enquanto o Meu Cabelo Crescia
- Siga a Seta!
- O Livro dos Quintais
- A Manta, Uma História aos Quadradinhos
- Cá em Casa Somos…
- Depressa, devagar
- Andar por aí
- As Duas Estradas
- Coração de Mãe
- O Meu Vizinho É Um Cão
- Quando Eu Nasci
- A Grande Invasão
- Pê de Pai
- Uma Mesa É Uma Mesa. Será?
Segue Maria Rousakis
Maria Rousakis escreveu mais de 40 livros para crianças de todas as idades, bem como dois romances literários. Os seus livros anharam prémios na Grécia e nos EUA, tendo sido divulgados em programas de televisão em ambos os países.
List of Works
- Unique Melpo (Papadopoulos, 2001) picture book for ages 4-8
- Unique Monique (Kane/Miller, 2002) picture book
- Who Listens to Melpo… (Papadopoulos, 2003) picture book for ages 4-8
- The Lemon Trees (Papadopoulos, 2004) children’s novel for ages 9-12
- Swimming in Deep Water (Papadopoulos, 2006) children’s novel for ages 9-12
- The Feather Princess (Papadopoulos, 2006) picture book for ages 5-9
- Matoula’s Halves (Papadopoulos, 2007) paperback picture book for beginner readers
- Simina’s Striped Sock (Kedros, 2002) a Christmas picture book for ages 3-6
- A Plot of Land for Simina (Kedros, 2003) picture book for ages 3-6
- Simina, You’re a Star (Kedros, 2004) picture book for ages 3-6
- Red Candy in the Morning (Kedros, 2007) picture book for ages 4-8
- How to Care for your pet monster (Patakis, 2007) paperback picture book for beginner readers
- I have a Magical Room (Neoset & Papadopoulos, 2008) picture book for ages 4-8
- The Brother with No Front Teeth (Patakis, 2009) paperback picture book for beginner readers
- Mr. Kiouk has the Hiccups (Metaixmio, 2009) paperback picture book for beginner readers
- I Like to Scream! (Metaixmio, 2010) paperback picture book for beginner readers
- Donuts ate me one night (Psichogios, 2010) paperback picture book for beginner readers
- The school bus bully (Psichogios, 2010) paperback picture book for beginner readers
- The Princess Mandalena Series (picture books)
- The Perfect Birthday (Papadopoulos, 2010)
- Tea with Friends (Papadopoulos, 2010)
- The Fairy Godmother’s Gift (Papadopoulos, 2010)
- The Bewitched Forest (Papadopoulos, 2010)
- The Magic Book (Papadopoulos, 2010)
- The School Paper (Papadopoulos, 2010)
- The Letters Dance (Papadopoulos, 2010) paperback picture book for beginner readers
- Pink Hair (Psichogios, 2011) paperback picture book for beginner readers
- I’m Not a Snitch! (Patakis, 2011) paperback picture book for beginner readers
- Reos, the best of friends (Metaixmio, 2012) paperback picture book for beginner readers
- Helen Keller – A flame in the dark (Kedros, 2012) – biography for children
- Pass it to Me (uTales, 2012) – digital picture book
- Red Cowboy Boots (Psichogios, 2013) paperback picture book for 2-4 yrs. old
- Space News (Minoas, 2013) paperback picture book for beginner readers
- The Treasure of Taygetos (Minoas, 2013) children’s novel for ages 9-12
- Baboula Baby (A-Z Publishing, 2013) – picture book
- The Giant’s Wife (Metaixmio, 2014) paperback picture book for beginner readers
- At the Dinosaur Academy (Papadopoulos, 2014) paperback picture book for beginner readers
- Listen to the Rhythm (Kedros, 2014) young adult novel
- My Sister is a Dragon (Patakis, 2015) paperback picture book for beginner readers
- The Pincher (Psichogios, 2015) paperback picture book for 2-4 yrs. old
- The Enigma of the Aegean (Minoas, 2015) children’s novel for ages 9-12
- What Remains is a Gaze (Psichogios, 2016) literary novel
- A Smile and a Shine (Psichogios, 2017) children’s novel for ages 9-12
- Kassiani’s Night (Psichogios, 2018) literary novel
- A River Inside Me (Patakis, 2018) picture book
- Pythagoras (Kokkini Klosti Demeni, 2018) biographical picture book
- Socrates (Kokkini Klosti Demeni, 2018) biographical picture book
- The Little Caveboy (Psichogios, 2018) paperback picture book for beginner readers
Participation in Collected Works
- The Women’s Literary Team Calendar 2009
- The Women’s Literary Team Calendar 2010
- The Women’s Literary Team Calendar 2011
- The Women’s Literary Team Calendar 2012
- The Women’s Literary Team Calendar 2013
- Keep Calm for Mothers – Minoas, 2013
- So, we say No – A Collection of Works by WLT, Parrisia 2014
- The Women’s Literary Team Calendar 2017
Segue Rania Masri
Rania Masri é uma ecologista política, ativista por justiça ambiental e coordenadora regional do Conhecimento Co-Produzido Ativista Académico pela Justiça Ambiental. Ao longo da sua carreira, tem procurado analisar as ciências sociais através de uma lente holística e interdisciplinar, bem como reconhecimento de que a gestão ambiental deve abranger uma prática de direitos humanos e justiça social.
Os seus trabalhos centram-se em questões de sustentabilidade ecológica, política ambiental e movimentos sociais. Também escreveu e organizou extensivamente as sanções contra o Iraque e a ocupação da (toda) Palestina, bem como os direitos civis e ambientais.
“One of the critical pathways to protecting our environment is communication. Powerful writing about our lands, our waters, the plants, and the other animals, and about our own relationships with the earth, with other species, and with ourselves have the ability to change the way we see the environment, and thus have the ability to change our actions.
This competition is an opportunity for both children and adults to explore their creative writing skills and lead us all towards greater environmental awareness. I am excited to be on the judging panel.”
Most recently, Rania concluded her tenure as the Associate Director of the Asfari Institute for Civil Society and Citizenship at the American University of Beirut, and is now teaching at the Lebanese American University.
Rania has also served as an environmental science professor and Chair of the Department of Environmental Sciences at the University of Balamand in Lebanon (2005-2014), the Environment and Energy Policy Specialist as the UNDP-Regional Office in Cairo (2012-2013), and Director of the Southern Peace Research and Education Center at the Institute for Southern Studies in North Carolina (in the US).
Rania holds a PhD in Forestry from North Carolina State University (2001), and a Masters in Environmental Management (MEM) from Duke University (1995).
- “Assault on Iraq’s Environment: Radioactive Waste and Disease – The effects of depleted uranium weaponry and blockade.” Iraq: Its History, People and Politics. Ed. by Shams Inati. Prometheus Books. 2003
- “Iraq: Reconstruction or Deconstruction?” Iraq – a Liberated Country? (Der Irak – ein befreites Land?) Edited by Michael Schiffmann, Rüdiger Göbel, and Joachim Guilliard. Papyrossa Verlag (Germany). 2003
- Abunimah, Ali and Rania Masri. “The Media’s Deadly Spin on Iraq.” Iraq Under Siege: The Deadly Impact of Sanctions and War. Ed. by Anthony Arnove. South End Press. Co-Published by Pluto Press in London. 2000. Second Edition – 2002
- “The Al-Aqsa Intifada: A natural consequence of the military occupation, the Oslo accords, and the ‘peace process.’” The Struggle for Palestine. Ed. by Lance Selfa. Haymarket Books. 2002
Segue Joaquín Araújo
Joaquín Araújo é escritor, jornalista e editor. Ele dedicou quase 50 anos da sua vida à comunicação, disseminação e consciencialização sobre a importância da conservação da natureza. O seu profundo interesse pela conservação da natureza levou-o a participar e escrever mais de 2000 artigos e uma centena de livros, tendo recebido 49 prémios, entre eles, o UN Global 500.
“The opportunity to be a judge in the Rooted Everyday Mediterranean Short Story Competition opens up new perspectives. It is an invaluable chance to get to know what topics interest novel writers, as well as, their literary skills. But, above all, it is also instructive not only for the participants, but specially for the judges who take pleasure in reading new ideas, sensitivities and constructive proposals”.
Joaquín actively collaborates with numerous associations and environmental, cultural and caring NGOs. He was part of the coordination and direction of eight encyclopedias and has curated in six exhibitions. His indefatigable and enthusiastic informative work and his mastery of the audio visual have allowed him to act as director, advisor, scriptwriter and presenter of more than 300 programs and documentaries and to participate in more than 3000 radio programs.
His publications include:
- Todavía vivo, Madrid, Penthalón, 1980. Reeditado por Calenda, 1991.
- Cultivar la Tierra, Madrid, Penthalón, 1981.
- España herida, Barcelona, Círculo de Lectores, 1988
- Los Parques Nacionales, Barcelona, Lunwerg, 3 ediciones diferentes renovadas y ampliadas: 1989,1994 y 1999.
- La Voz de la Naturaleza: biografía de Félix Rodríguez de la Fuente, Barcelona, Salvat, 1990.
- 500 excursiones por la Naturaleza de España, Madrid, Espasa Calpe, 1994
- Maravillosas emboscadas, Madrid, Anaya, 1998. 60.000 ejemplares vendidos
- La sonata del bosque, Madrid, Caja Madrid-Lunwerg. 1999
- España vista desde el Cielo (2003) Círculo de Lectores.
- Ecos…lógicos, Madrid, Maeva. 2000.
- El Agua en España: Proteo o el cuarto elemento (Aquamed- Lunwerg) 2008
- Los parques emocionales (TUNDRA 2017)
- Aire poemario TUNDRA 2018